Sunday, January 29, 2012

New Engine For Odenton VFC

To say that there are differences between the fire company I am with now and the department I left behind in South Carolina would be an understatement. Not that one is better or worse than the other, just different. While both departments perform the same functions, there are differences in tactics, equipment and training, etc. Among other differences, the company I'm with now seems to be more steeped in tradition than the department I left. I found out just how much yesterday when I was photographing the housing and dedication ceremony for my company's newest piece of apparatus, Engine 282. During my 4 1/2 years with Sumter Fire Department, my station put two new pieces of apparatus into service. There was no pomp, no ceremony. We simply transferred equipment from the old rig to the new one and pressed on. Yesterday was quite different from that. Following tradition, an elaborate ceremony was held in dedicating the new engine and putting it into service.

Engine 282 before the ceremony begins.


Chief of the Odenton Volunteer Fire Company, Ray Hodgson makes his remarks.


President of the Odenton Volunteer Fire Company, Jim Allen makes his remarks.


A very surprised Bob Rose making his remarks after it was revealed that the new engine was dedicated in his name. Bob was chosen for the new engine owing to his many years of service to both the Odenton Volunteer Fire Company as well as the Anne Arundel County Fire Department.




The chaplain from the Ferndale Volunteer Fire Company christens the engine.


Engine 282 rolls out of the bay before being pushed back three times to signify the holy trinity.


The members of the Odenton Volunteer Fire Company pushing the engine back into the bay for the third and final time.


Chief of the Anne Arundel County Fire Department, John Ray contacts dispatch to have the engine officially placed in service and available.


Engine 282. A 2012 Pierce Arrow XT. The engine has a 1500 gpm pump and a 500 gallon tank.


Engine 282 replaces Engine 283, a 1988 Seagrave.


The ceremony was a great experience and I was proud to be a part of it. I look forward to partaking in many other traditions with this company in the years to come.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment