Saturday, March 10, 2012

Saint Patrick's Day

Saint Patrick's day will be upon us this coming weekend. Anyone who's known me long enough, knows that this day is deeply important to me. For those who don't yet know me, you will soon find out. Now for many people here in the United States, March 17th is just an ordinary day. For others it is an excuse to get ridiculously drunk from copious amounts of green colored beer. For others like myself, it is a chance to celebrate our ancestors and our heritage. Don't get me wrong, I will certainly be imbibing a few thought-enhancing beverages on the 17th, but the day holds a little more meaning for me than that.

Now I am indeed a mixed-breed as my online moniker implies. From what I've been able to figure out over the years however, Irish is the dominant feature of my ethnic makeup. Even if it had not been the biggest piece of the pie, it was certainly the most celebrated in my family. This is particularly true for the men on my father's side of the family. We've always taken our Irish heritage very seriously. So much so that my grandfather, Thomas Treacy Warshaw Sr. was once elected Irishman of the Year by the Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick of the Jersey Shore.

Since the passing of my grandfather in 1995 and the passing of my father, Thomas Treacy Warshaw Jr. in 2008, the holiday has taken on new meaning as a time to celebrate and toast our ancestors. Indeed there will be a shot of Jamesons for both my father and grandfather this coming Saturday as I remember the influence they had, and continue to have on my life. I always think about them, but on Saint Patrick's Day they are always at the forefront of my thoughts.

Back in 2007, my wife and I were able to experience Saint Patrick's Day in Ireland during our belated honeymoon. There we were able to see a very different type of celebration than that experienced in the United States. While there are indeed parades and alcohol to be had, the holiday is very much a religious one. Indeed the day was born out of the celebration of Patrick for his bringing of Christianity to pagan Ireland. I've been interested to find out recently that English-born Patrick's initial stay in Ireland as a kidnapped slave was thought to be in or around County Mayo where it is believed that my ancestors hail from.

While I do not go overboard in dressing up for Saint Patrick's day, I always ensure I am wearing at least a little green. This year, I have chosen to show my support for both the Irish and firefighting. In many areas of the United States, these two subjects are very much intertwined. With that in mind I'll be sporting a Dublin Fire Brigade shirt this year.


I wish everyone a safe and happy Saint Patrick's Day, a celebration for those who are Irish and those who wish they were.

Tá mé Thomas Treacy Warshaw III. Tá mé mac na hÉireann go deo. Sin mo scéal agus tá mé ag cloí leis.

No comments:

Post a Comment