Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Back To School

After taking off from school for the month of January, I am back in full swing with two classes. I'm currently taking Fire Prevention and Fire Protection Systems. Both classes are going towards my Bachelor of Science degree in Fire Science Management. With the completion of these two classes in the next 8 weeks, I will be a little over halfway to completing this degree. As it stands, I'm still on target to finish all requirements in 2015.

Some might ask why I would get such a degree. I certainly do not need a degree to be a firefighter. The reasons I'm pursuing this degree are threefold. The first is that I need to ensure employment opportunities in something fire or emergency related should I be unable to get a job as a career firefighter post-Air Force. The second reason is that should I end up as a fire officer one day (or even if I stay a line firefighter), the knowledge gained from pursuing this degree will certainly compliment experience learned in the field. Last, but certainly not least is that this degree will be the springboard to a Master of Arts (or Science depending on the school) in Emergency Management. Besides opening up even more employment opportunities, the Master's degree will allow me to teach college level fire classes. The latter is definitely a dream of mine. This is the current plan right now. I'm basically trying to open up as many possibilities for post-Air Force employment in the emergency services as I can. Here's to keeping my nose to the grindstone. I'm proof that it is definitely never too late to work on your education.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment