Thursday, July 21, 2011

For The Honor Of 343 Brothers

I'm now back home after completing the 9/11 memorial stair climb at the Firehouse Expo in Baltimore. After 5 climbs up 20 flight of stairs I'm exhausted, yet energized by the experience. This event qualifies as the most awesome, yet humbling that I've ever attended. There were was one brief moment towards the beginning of the fifth, and final climb that I contemplated stopping. I was soaked with sweat and picking up my feet felt like I was picking up lead weights. I quickly dismissed the thought from my mind though. While there is no doubt that what we did today was tough, it cannot hold a candle to the hellish conditions that my brothers from NYC ascended into on September 11, 2001. There was also the pledge I made to my best friend Jay, that I would do this in memory of his Uncle Tommy. Tommy did not waver on September 11th and I was not going to waver in honoring his memory.

Besides climbing in Tommy Sabella's memory, another thing that made this event particularly special in my mind was the attendance by families of a few of the fallen FDNY firefighters. There were a couple of times I got chills and even a bit misty eyed as these families clapped for us while we made our rounds through the lobby to begin our next ascent. Here are these families who have lost so much and deserving of my applause, yet they cheered us on. I was proud to serve them in the small way I could. As worn out as I am, I can honestly say that I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Then there was the awesome team I was a part of during the climb. We looked out for each other and we stuck together through the entire event. If someone needed a break, we all stuck with them even if it meant being passed by teams behind us. I had never met these folks before in my life, yet they were all my brothers. It was also great to climb with other servicemembers including a Marine Reservist and a Navy Hospital Corpsman. Like myself, these guys have chosen to serve on two fronts.

Last but not least, I was thrilled to finally meet Captain Willie Wines and Lieutenant Rhett Fleitz of the Roanoke Fire Department. I've known these fellas for a little while through their respective blogs and Rhett's fire news website. Not only was it an honor to participate in this event with them, but it was a pleasure to share some food, fellowship and a few beers afterwards.

Everything else aside, I can say that while I've never forgotten for a moment, this event has caused me to renew my vow that I will never, ever forget September 11, 2001 and the sacrifices made by so many on that day.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment